UC Irvine Summer Multicultural Leadership Institute 2015
Friday, August 14th through Sunday, August 16th
The Cross-Cultural Center, on behalf of Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Rameen Talesh, is hosting the 10th Annual Summer Multicultural Leadership Institute (SMLI)! This opportunity is for incoming first-year students to meet fellow student leaders and learn about campus life and leadership. The Summer Multicultural Leadership Institute, is a selective program of 50 participants that provides a chance to engage in unique workshops and challenging dialogues focused on topics such as diversity, cultural wellness, social justice, free speech, and conflict resolution.
All students selected to participate will receive a scholarship that covers the cost of all workshops, residence hall accommodations, and meals for the weekend. Cost of travel to the campus is not included. Upon acceptance into the program, you must submit a non-refundable $25 fee.
You must be present and available Friday, August 14th (10am) - Sunday, August 16th (4pm).
Please know that this is not a substitute for the Student/Parent Orientation Program (SPOP) – the required orientation for new first-year students. You are required to attend a SPOP session during the summer regardless of your participation in SMLI.
SMLI participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a knowledge and appreciation for diversity, including the dimensions of race, religion, gender, ability, citizenship, and class
- Acquire an understanding of community/civic engagement in higher education
- Develop conflict management skills
- Understand various leadership styles and develop leadership skills
- Develop skills in building community with others - staff, students, student groups and off-campus community members
- Recognize some of the multifaceted aspects of a higher education institution
- Understand the challenges associated with freedom of speech on a college campus
- Become empowered to take advantage of leadership opportunities on campus
Summer Multicultural Leadership Institute 2015 Application Process:
- Review SMLI program details above. Program will be held Friday - Sunday, August 14-16, 2015 at the University of California, Irvine.
- Submit your application online by Sunday, July 12, 2015. Link to application is below. Only 50 spaces are available.
- Recommender should submit Letter of Recommendation online, and must be recieved by Wednesday, July 15th.
- Email notification of acceptance will be sent to you by Wednesday, July 22nd. Upon acceptance, participants will receive further instructions about a non-refundable $25 fee and forms. Note that transportation to the program is not provided.